Are you on a diet? Chances are, at some point, you will at least try one out. As we know, with dieting comes the much-maligned fasting of sweets and all that dreaded calorie counting. But it can be better than you think. Yes, there is a light at the end of the tunnel, and that light is hummus.
You might be fond of it already, but if you are dieting, hummus can become a great and delicious tool for you. You see, hummus calories are not quite the same as the calories in other popular dips and spreads. Here are five reasons why hummus calories beat the rest without sacrificing any flavor.
1. What is hummus, you ask? It starts with mashed chickpeas and tahini, a sesame-seed paste, and ends up an appetizing blend of garlic, salt, lemon juice and olive oil. Hummus is usually served with pita chips or vegetables, but it also makes a fantastic spread for sandwiches.
2. In one tablespoon of regular hummus, you will find only 25 calories and 2 grams of carbohydrates. This low number of hummus calories certainly opens up your possibilities when it comes to snacking! Try dipping vegetables and crackers in spicy hummus dip for the maximum health and taste benefits your dieting self deserves.
3. Hummus is high in iron and protein, two essential bodily components for energy and growth. That means when you indulge in savory roasted garlic hummus dip, you are actually helping your body repair itself, in addition to giving your taste buds something to sing about. Just think, hummus calories can provide these essential nutrients to you via a tasty dipped cracker!
4. Try a few new recipes with hummus to keep it exciting. Fire up a yummy grilled vegetable and hummus pizza or craft an enticing hummus, avocado and feta sandwich. The hummus calories you gain from these savory meals are substantially lower than what you would typically find in other fatty dips and spreads, so treat your tongue.
5. Hummus calories beat the calories in cream cheese and vegetable dip by nearly half. That means you can enjoy double the hummus with only half the guilt, a perfect fit for dieters. An easy hummus recipe is switching out the mayonnaise in chicken salad for classic hummus, saving yourself quite a few calories in the process!
As we have just gone over, hummus calories are really nothing to fear. If you are dieting, grab some hummus and let your mouth relax. Your stomach will thank you later.